www.viadeiprincipi.it

  • Full Screen
  • Wide Screen
  • Narrow Screen
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

            

Doganaccia Before The Excavation

The necropolis of the Doganaccia is found to the center of the Monterozzis' hill. The impressive Tumuli "of the King" and "of the Queen" rise on two ample calcareous terraces, at one of the oldest routes that led from the city to the sea. The couple disposition is rather unusual: the two sepulchers probably belonged to members of a same aristocratic family, even brothers or cousins that wanted to erect theirs last abodes in the same place to testify the control of the territory in death as in life.
In the first half of the nineteenth century, the area occupied by the two mounds (now State property) belonged to the Marquis Scipio Sacchetti, who in 1837 commissioned Raphael Rose to conduct a series of excavations at the "ruins that rise as a pyramid of rubble pointing out sepulchral monuments". The investigation led, according to the report of the excavation, the opening of "three monuments" and the discovery of some burial objects. Other later interventions have only vague reports.
The first scientific investigation in the area dates back to 1928, when the archaeologist Giuseppe Cultrera concentrated his attention on the “Tumulus of the King” which has a diameter of over 35 meters and a base dug into the rock, originally covered with square limestone blocks. The base was used to hold the high cap earth. A large open-air vestibule precedes the burial chamber with a rectangular plan and an ogive coverage which recalls the roof of the huts.
Among the findings of the outfit, unfortunately already violated at the time of the excavations, various objects testify to the extraordinary richness of the grave. Extraordinary the discovery of an inscription painted on the bottom of a vase; it is a Greek name adapted to Etruscan language: Rutile Hipukrates.
The intention to proceed, after the intervention on the “Tumulus of the King”, even to the excavation of the twin-tumulus is noted in the archives of the Royal Superintendent of 1929. The initiative did not have any following and the tomb was abandoned to its fate. Until 2008.
 
You are here ATTIVITA' 2008 - 2012